Can you buy expensive herbals and vitamins and a whole host of supplements? Yes, but tea made at home is cheaper and better for you. Vitamins obtained from the foods you eat will be better absorbed by your body, and of course they are much cheaper. Reducing my purchases in this one area has saved me gobs of money! Don’t be fooled. A corporation can never exceed the quality of the food in your own kitchen.That said, many of us need the convenience that supplements provide, so we’re willing to spend a little bit of money to purchase them. A good supplement is easily absorbed by your body. I try to choose ones made from whole food, since I figure that God has placed within the food He created everything my body needs to absorb those nutrients. This is also a safe way to avoid taking too much of a single vitamin that could be toxic, creating a mineral imbalance, etc.
Here are my top favorite supplements, which we use in our home. Click on the product to be taken to a good source. Be sure to read about the health benefits of each.
- Coconut oil (1-2 tbsp. per meal) — I prefer to cook with it or add it to a recipe, but I know people who eat it right off a spoon or stir it into a warm drink. We also include plenty of coconut milk in our diet. Coconut oil also replaces triple antibiotic in our home, since we dab it on cuts before applying a bandage. Health Benefits
- Cod liver oil (2-4 tsp. daily) — We aim for no less than 5000 IU of Vitamin A from cod liver oil per day, so read the label to be sure you take enough. Health Benefits
- Butter oil (1/2 tsp. as needed) — This is the most expensive supplement on our list, so we take it only as needed in our home (although we get raw butter and milk). However, if you can afford it, please consider taking it daily! Health Benefits
- Acerola powder (1/4 tsp.) or amla-C (X per day) — These are a natural source of vitamin C. They are non-toxic and highly useable by your body. We prefer these to taking synthetic vitamin C pills. Health Benefits
- Enzymes (1-2 per meal) — These help us digest our foods and receive the ultimate nutrition available in everything we eat. We wouldn’t do without them! For kids, we open the capsules and sprinkle the enzymes directly on the food (as long as it’s not too hot). Health Benefits
- Probiotic (3-6 daily) — If you use a lot of cultured and lacto-fermented foods, you may not need a probiotic. However, I’ve found that even with a good diet, a probiotic keeps my digestive system working well. If you ever use antibiotics, a probiotic is essential. Health Benefits
Combined with a good diet as described on this site, these supplements will insure superior health for you and your family, and they can replace all other supplement bottles in your cupboards.